Monday, May 12, 2008

My Mother's Day Weekend

My family totally pampered me this weekend for Mother's day. Abby brought home from school a cute picture of her and a card that she wrote all by herself! She was so proud of it. Rachel and Hannah put some forethought into a gift and ordered a watering glass bulb that keeps a pot watered for up to 2 weeks. It was very thoughtful and will come in handy on a flower basket that is kind of a pain to water. Melissa made me a nice card that almost made me cry and Alan was so sensitive and wanted me to feel special. Mother's Day was all weekend for me this year. Saturday we went to Home Depot and Alan bought me a round plastic table with an umbrella that I have had my eye on at Costco. He assembled it with Melissa's help and set it up for me on the deck. The girls thought it was a wonderful place to play. We went out to eat at Pizza Hut Sat. night as a family after an afternoon of working outside. I was exhausted from a 1/2 day of spraying off my house and washing all my windows from the outside. It can be a bit tricky on my windows up high. Just picture me trying to steady myself on a ladder holding on to basically nothing and removing screens and doing my best not to have any streaks. They look pretty shiny now until our next rain and wind storm.
Sunday Alan called off most of his early morning meetings and made breakfast for the family. Alan & I did something different for the ladies of the ward this year than the traditional flowers. I believe it was well received and appreciated. I asked a lady in the ward to decorate a couple of tables and we had fruit and sweet breads/desserts for all the women. I asked about six ladies to help make the breads/desserts and the fruit was a hit. We served a Shasta pop in a punch bowl for drinks along with water. We also gave out small bottles of lotion with a poem attached about "Sisters Hands". We thought that the ladies would grab a plate and go back to RS or Primary but when I came in with the YW the women were all still milling around talking and having a great time. I think that they appreciated the change. Who knows maybe we started a tradition!
After church and a short nap Alan grilled some hamburgers and we had strawberry cheesecake for dessert. We had intended to go on a drive but the weather wasn't cooperating so we just bagged it and hung out at home.
I reflected on my own mother during church and how much I appreciate all that she did for me while I was growing up. She was a wonderful mother and I am grateful for her friendship today. I am excited to cruise Alaska with my parents the end of June. I am also so grateful to my mother-in-law for raising such a wonderful, sensitive and kind son. I hope that Zach turns out as great as his father is today.
Happy Mother's Day To All!!!!

No comments: