Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


We went to my brother Zachary's grave on Sunday to clean it up a bit. My mom and dad had sent some cute flowers and there were some mums from Ryan and Angela there. I dug around the headstone as only my mother would and planted some pretty yellow flowers. We brushed off the headstone and washed it clean with some water. On the way home the kids wanted to sing "Families Can Be Together Forever." My kids asked me about my memories of my brother and I really had a hard time remembering specifics so I decided to drag out my journal and see what I put there. As I began reading the memories came flooding back. Here are some.
*He loved to stomp on the cat's tail and then fall back and laugh.
*We had a dog named Moe that would bite his bottom and he would turn around and shake his finger at him and say "no, no Moe."
*He loved green fruit. He would always eat the rind of the watermelon and eat the green raspberries never the red ones.
*He loved to get down on his hands and knees and eat the hay like the cows.
*He took handfuls of grain for the cows and stuffed it in his mouth and he then would spit it out.
*He loved to lap up milk in the buckets like the calves.
*He always laughed when anyone burped.
*He scattered toys from one end of the house to the other.
*He loved getting into my makeup.
*He always wiggled his body around when music was on and then he would go in slow motion and look around with a 1/2 smile to see if anyone was looking at him. Of course, we always were.
*Whenever my brother Jeremy chased him he would run into my arms and bury his head and move side to side as Jeremy tried to get his attention.
*He loved to go anywhere with my dad and he would stand right next to him in the truck. (Back before the days of seat belts.)
*He copied everything that his older brothers and sisters did.
*He loved to sleep in dark places (his room had no windows) and we often found him asleep in the linen closet.
He was truly a gift from God. I can't wait to see him again and I know that he is watching out for his family on the other side. I am grateful I was able to associate with such a valiant stripling warrior if only it was for a short time. I love you Zachary!!!!!

No comments: