Tuesday, April 1, 2008

YW Activity - Making your Scriptures Personal


I am totally excited for our YW personal progress activity Wed. night. We are working on making our scriptures more personal. The girls seem excited about this and I have found some great tips on the internet and my sister Jaime is coming to share a color coding system that she uses to mark her scriptures. I also found a great website where an incredible lady took mega time to design scripture stickers using the Gospel Art Kit pictures. For my YW I printed off the SM tags, footnote pictures for the D&C and the Book of Mormon and the GAK correlating tags. I am not copying off the Old and New Testament pictures for the girls because the adhesive vellum is a bit too expensive for our meager YW budget. I found the adhesive vellum at Michael's. I have always liked the cute pictures that marked scripture passages but I could not bring myself to pay the money for them. Doing your own is a bit cheaper and as a side note the Book of Mormon & D&C footnote pictures can be printed on the same sheet of vellum, just flip it over. If you are interested in the website to download this information it is: http://www.meckmom.com/2007/11/24/gospel-art-kit-scripture-sticker-tutorial/

Some ideas to make your scriptures more personal that I found on lds.org are:
1-Write on top of the pages what stories are being told ex. Pages 10-12 Noah is commanded to build the ark. Younger children could also draw pictures to help them remember the story such as a boat, rain, clouds.
2-Keep whatever marking system that you use simple and be consistent in your markings.
3-Hard-lead colored pencils and fine tip, ball-point pens can be used for marking.
4-Write off to the side of marked scriptures a short annotation (which is a short, explanatory comment) about the passage. You can keep a scripture journal and reference all passages that relate to certain subjects, for example reference all scriptures relating to the Book of Mormon.
5-I started doing scripture chaining last year using the study guides given out in Sunday School as a reference. Most weeks have a list of scriptures to read that relate to each other. I would start with the first one and then reference the 2nd in the margin and then keep going until the last one which I would then reference the first one. (Note: This year's study guide doesn't seem to have as many chains as last year.)
6-Another idea that I found to be interesting but I have not tried as of yet, is to buy a roll of unexposed black and white print film, and using a small paper punch, punch out a number of small round tabs. You simply moisten the emulsion side of the film, and stick this round tab to the edge of the page to mark either special scriptures, scripture mastery scriptures, or books of scriptures if your scriptures are not already tabbed.

If you have any other creative ideas that have worked for you be sure to share them with me! Thanks!

3 comments:

J-Babe said...

Hey it was a lot of fun hanging out with you last night. Those picture things are so cool, thanks for all your time that you put into them!

The Burk Family said...

well, I was going private because a friend of mine had a friend that had her kids' pics taken off her page and posted on someone else's website, but we figured out how it happened so I know how to prevent that...in short, I'm not going private anymore :)

The Burk Family said...

Put a new post up already geez!!!!J/K maybe it could be about tonight! I had fun though, it went well! I'm joining your recipe club, putting the recipe up right now...