Thursday, March 6, 2008

Hannah Banana



After much persuasion from my sister Jaime, I decided to create my own blog and that way you can read about us if you want to!
The month of February has been an interesting one in our household. I really don't know when exactly it started and when it ended. Hannah pretty much consumed my entire attention. For those that don't know what happened to Hannah I am sending a copy of an email below that I sent out to family the day after her accident.

"We had quite the scare yesterday with Hannah which made me appreciate all my children and how much I love them. Hannah and I spent ½ of the evening in the Burley ER last night. She went skiing with her 5th grade class and had decided to try a bigger hill with her teacher and some other friends. She started going down the hill and was going too fast and she didn’t know how to stop and hit a tree. We were very LUCKY that she did not hit the tree head on but with her left side. She is very bruised and sore with no broken bones. We know that it could have been much worse. I am grateful that my sister, Jaime was with her and stayed with her at the hospital until I was able to get there. Jaime found two LDS guys who worked there to give Hannah a blessing. When I arrived Hannah was moaning and crying because she was on one of those flat boards and it was strapped tight and her head was throbbing. They didn’t break any speed records at the hospital and her head was very uncomfortable and they would not let her move. She told the doctor “no offense but I don’t like your hospital.” They released her into my care after several hours of waiting for some guy in Switzerland to view the cat scans (it was after hours) and gave me strict instructions to watch her carefully for the next 24 hours. She suffered a concussion and had no apparent brain or spinal injuries. I slept very little last night. Hannah was in bed with me and I was constantly asking her if she was ok. We have a follow-up appointment with a Pediatrician in Twin tomorrow. When she was finally released from the head contraption she tried to sit up and pain shot through her left lower back and side. She needed my help to move into a sitting position and to walk. It will take some time but I believe she will heal and life will go on. I wish Alan were here. (He was at a Ag show in California). I could really use his support, but there is not much I can do about that. Please keep Hannah in your prayers, we are having a follow- up visit with a Dr. tomorrow."

That next morning the ER doctor called me from Burley and told me that their radiologist from the hospital looked again at the cat-scans and thought that there was something that was over looked in her lower back and that we should have some more x-rays. Panic mode set in and I called our High Priest group leader (Prez. Farnsworth) to come over and give her a blessing. He promised her (without knowing ahead of time what was going on) that we would find out answers today and that she would heal from her injuries and be able to do all the things that young girls like to do.They then carried her out of the house for me (She does weigh almost 100 pounds and I had been lugging her around for a day and I didn't think I could maneuver the stairs without help.)
The doctor looked her over and at the recommendation of the radiologist in Burley had another scan done of her lower back. We found out that she fractured her spine in two spots (T-9 and T-10 to be exact). There was a slight compression in them but the spine doctor in Boise didn't seem to think that would affect her. The pain she was likely feeling was from all muscle and tendons around the spine that had been injured. He said that she hit so hard she fractured the inside of the spine which is quite protected by tendons and muscles. She was then told to rest and her body would heal but it could take up to two years. He encouraged her to not participate in P.E. the rest of the school year or run for the next 3 months. He said that she would know when she was ready to start do things again. We used a wheelchair for about 3 days, a walker for two days and a cane for one. She still has a little trouble bending but other than that she is doing great. She said some really touching things in her testimony last week that had the whole ward dabbing at their eyes. She told them that she went skiing a few weeks ago and hit a tree. She said that when her teacher asked her if she wanted to go up onto a bigger and better hill she had a feeling that she shouldn't go. She said she ignored that prompting and because of that decision ift will affect her for the next two years of her life. She said that she was grateful for this experience because she learned how important it was that we heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost and that she would never question those feelings again. It was a very tender and heartfelt testimony that left me in tears. Melissa got up a while later and thanked the ward for their concern and help with our family. I ended the meeting with my thanks and told them how Hannah commented that she felt so loved. I consider myself to be a pretty independent person not asking or expecting much from others, so I was deeply humbled and grateful for the help that came whether I wanted it or not. I am also so grateful for the priesthood power here upon this earth. I am so grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord that He shows me everyday of my life.

Hannah is now feeling pretty confident that in a month when we have another check-up that the doctor is going to tell her to do whatever she wants. Of course I am on the cautious side and keep telling her not to push it. I am so amazed at her positive attitude. (If it were me I would probably still be limping along!)
I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who hears and answers our prayers, even if they are a little repetitious at times. We are truly blessed and watched over.


2 comments:

J-Babe said...

Well it is about time:)j/k I' am so glad that Hannah is doing good. When I first heard that Hannah was hurt I hurried and jumped on the ski lift. The whole time I was wondering what Hannah would do and it came to me to sing I' am a child of God. Later on when I was with her she asked me to sing it with her. She has a really strong testimony.

J-Babe said...

Well you just have to fill out a post with the same questions. Hey you can always get your kids to make a blog. I bet some of them would like it!