Monday, March 28, 2011

Christmas Tree & Ornaments 2010

 So blogger is not letting me start a new account so I guess I will give up the $5 to keep it going yearly! I will be posting my Pictures from my digital scrap booking to get me caught up. So I apologize if you are on my mailing list and and have to suffer through Christmas pictures in the spring! Just click on the pictures to enlarge the screen.

This year much to everyone's dismay we bought a fake tree for our main Christmas tree. I absolutely loved it! We usually go up the Saturday after Thanksgiving to the South Hills with my family and search far and wide for the perfect tree, but this year there was so much SNOW that we didn't dare chance it. I couldn't wait to get a real tree so Alan and I went and bought a 9 footer on that Saturday and decorated it that night.
My children and my siblings thought that we were committing a sin. But I was as happy as lark. I have campaigned many years for a fake tree and finally got my wish! (Thank you mother nature!) Here are my reasons to have a fake tree - 1. The lights are already on the tree. No stringing lights on every branch and then finding out the last batch you strung has a blown out fuse somewhere! Also my hands and arms have no scratches on them from the needles. 2- Because it is so uniform it doesn't tip over. I bet one year we had our tree tip over 3-4 times. Not good. And because the fake branches are wire the ornaments don't sag the branches down. Everybody got to put up every ornament they have ever received on this tree! 3- No watering, no sap dripping and no needles falling. What a pain that is. 4- Easy, cheezy clean-up! I even left it up for a few more days than I normally do. Usually the day after Christmas and sometimes the day of Christmas the tree is down and out the door.
Don't you think my reasons for a fake tree sounds pretty reasonable? I did miss a few things though. I missed the smell. I tried putting scents behind the tree and it just wasn't the same. I watched a episode of the Office later and I saw Pam put air fresheners on the tree - I will have to try that another year. I also miss the memories that are created every year getting our tree. Our kids always remember the crazy experiences we have had. (Bryan was in on that one last year!)
I am sure that we will not put up the faker every year (I picked up a really awesome, sturdy stand at Shopko after Christmas that looks like it will do the trick) but it is nice to have options!

No comments: