Sunday, January 11, 2009

Alan's Release

I remember 5 years ago I was struggling with Alan being called to be a bishop of our ward and now 5 years later I am sad that it has come to an end. No wonder man cannot figure out what woman wants because she doesn't even know herself! Alan was put in as bishop of our ward on January 4, 2004 and he will be released this afternoon, the 11th of Jan. 2009.
I have had an array of feelings since Brother Thornock called Alan on Tuesday to ask if the whole stake presidency could visit us on Thursday. We were pretty sure that they were coming to extend a release to Alan because when else does the whole stake presidency come to your house? I wasn't quite sure how to feel about his release. It was kind of funny that I felt anything at all because it is not my calling but it is Alan's. But when I really think about it, a calling to be a bishop is a calling that affects the entire family. I felt sad for Alan because I know that this calling has been one of his greatest joy's in the last 5 years and also one of his greatest sorrows.
I remember when Alan's dad (he was the stake president at the time) called Alan to serve as bishop of the 7th ward. I couldn't believe it - he should know better than anyone how this would impact our family. We were not even sure if we were done having children yet. I had visions of dragging the kids to church by myself (I already did that when Alan served as a counselor to John Crozier in the 1st ward and it was hard), and doing things on my own. I was also enjoying my calling in the stake primary presidency and I was worried that I would have to be released. (I do think that in normal circumstances that they would have but I pleaded not to be released because it was something that I loved and they continued to let me serve until the president's husband was call as a bishop). I literally shut myself up in my closet and cried. I was determined not to pray about it because really I already knew what the answer would be. The Holy Ghost is a funny thing and even if you are not willing it has a way of wiggling into your hard exterior and softening your heart.(It was probably because everyone was praying for it - see pray does work!) After finally getting on my knees and visiting with my Father in Heaven and also after a long conversation with my dad I felt at peace. I prayed that I would be able to accept Father's will. I prayed that I would be lifted up and be able to support my husband in this calling. I felt immediate peace and knew that I could do it. I knew at that moment that the calling did come from the Lord.
I am really grateful for the blessings that this calling has brought into my life, and in into my family's life. Five years ago you couldn't have told me that I would be sad when he was released, but I kind of am, in a bitter/sweet sort of way. I KNOW that we have been blessed as a family. I know that Heavenly Father has helped me personally and has lifted my burdens so that my husband could serve and come home to a happy wife, most of the time. Our business has prospered and life has been good to us. We have been able to do things and participate in things in the last 5 years, that we wouldn't have if we were not the bishop's family. We are all happy and healthy. We have great kids that have been very supportive and have enjoyed their dad serving as a bishop. They are all disappointed that their dad is being released except for Zach. He is tired of being referred to as the bishop's son. (One of his friends asked him if his dad was going to run for re-election.)
Some things that I am not going to miss are the funerals, being called sister bishop, Alan being gone, all the additional meetings he had to attend, or the never-ending welfare calls.
Being a bishop's family is a funny thing. One day you go from being the average, all-American Mormon family to being the ecclesiastical "BISHOP'S FAMILY". Why is it that the bishop's family goes from the average Joe to someone of great worth and importance in the matter of one day? Then after 5 years comes the release and you are expected to get back in line. Thousands have done it before us and thousands will do it after us.
I know that there is a greater purpose out there that we only get glimpses of and I do know that Heavenly Father knows what is best for each of us. I do know that other opportunities will come our way, and other doors will be opened. I do know that it is time to move on.
I am grateful for a wonderful, caring and dedicated husband. He is a great man and I am so lucky to be his wife! I love him so much! He will forever be the best bishop I have ever had! His heart is pure and his compassion for others is something I too hope to possess someday. He has been a great husband and father while serving as a bishop - he has always tried to put his family first and if there was a meeting he could shuffle around to attend a game for one of our children he would do it. I will never forget Sister Hendrickson in the first ward telling me that he was a father before he was put into the bishopric and that doesn't stop because he has other obligations and he will still be a father after he is done. Alan has never stopped being a father.
Alan seems to be doing alright with his release. I know that he has had an array of emotions this week from sadness to peace. I just can't wait to get it over with this afternoon so that we can move on and officially close this chapter in our lives.
Well it is all over with. Our new bishop is Dustin Olsen. He will do a great job. His counselors are a new guy and Walt Cooley. Alan did a wonderful job bearing his testimony and I blubbered all over the place for both of us. It feels kind of weird. I can't imagine what Alan must be feeling, probably a bit lost...... I don't know.

2 comments:

Ray said...

Thanks for sharing your experience Stacie. We really appreciate everything Alan did as our Bishop when we lived in the 7th Ward. I am sure it will be nice to have him home more now.

J-Babe said...

I know Alan was a great bishop:) I do remember him being put in and you saying that Zach will be 16 when he gets out. It is neat to look back and see how much has changed and how everyone has grown spiritually and temporally during this time. Also remember once you become a Bishop you are always known as a Bishop:)