I am going to be released from YW this Sunday and I am completely and utterly bummed about it. I have never had such reservations about being released from a calling as I have this one. I have been bumped around as 2nd counselor through three different presidencies but I didn't quite make the cut this time around.
I love working with the YW but I especially loved being there with my two oldest girls. Some people think that it is not good for parents to be in a calling where their children are but I think that statement is completely and utterly false. I LOVE SERVING WITH MY CHILDREN! I love being with them outside the home environment and having fun together. I do feel kind of cheated that I only got to be with Hannah for a few months.
Some things that I have learned in my short time about the girls in YW.
*The girls need to feel that you love them first and foremost. They need to feel accepted and safe when they are around you. They need to know that they won't be judged on what they have or haven't done. They need to feel comfortable enough to express their thoughts and opinions without the fear of being criticized or put down.
*You need to have FUN with the girls. They need to be excited to come to YW's. They should be excited about coming each week and being together. I am not saying that it has to be a roadshow every week but it needs to be interesting and something they are interested about. I have started turning over more responsibilities to the class presidency lately and I think that the girls enjoy the challenge.
*You need to show interest in the girls outside interests and attend something that they are competing in or starring in every once in awhile, even if it is something that you have no interest in. They need to know that you care enough about them to step outside the box. It is fun to see them in their own element.
*Girls love handouts! Sister Stokes is so good about giving the girls a handout every week and they love it. We even made a handout keeper for them to put them in.
I am sad to be released and have struggled because of it. I guess I just love the girls so much and I am sure that their new leaders will also. It is just hard.
This pending release has made me take a step back and look at my life, or maybe it is a mid-life crisis or something. I put so much time and energy into my callings. I can't help it because my mother is that way and I am a stay at home mom and all I have is my family and my church. I really need something else to direct my thoughts and energy towards. I have thought about two possible home businesses I could do. #1 I have experimented and enjoyed putting together pictures and video to music and I thought that this is something that I could do as a service from my home for weddings, funerals, birthdays, graduations, etc. Anyone know anyone else out there who has experience with this? #2 I thought about contacting Shannon & Dan and bringing food storage items to this valley than we can can't get through the cannery. I think that there is a need here for something like this.
Thanks to all my great friends and their listening ears. I love you all so much! I am so grateful for a loving husband who loves me in spite of my misgivings. He is my rock. I do know that Heavenly Father can see the big picture and that I need to have faith that He will always do what is best for me and my family.
Any advice or contacts out there anyone can give me about my two possible home businesses would be appreciated! Thanks!
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
It is hard to be released from a calling that you have grown to love, I could see that especially having your girls with you. I would have a hard time too. You will be put into another calling and will hopefully grow to love it as well. I' am excited about you opening your own thing, if you really want to and feel like you want too, then why not??!?!? Choose something that gets your heart zinging whenever you think about it and just go for it, I will help out any way I can!
Post a Comment