We have also been busy on the inside taking down cabinets, shelving in the old pantry and ripping out flooring so the demolition can begin next week. Leon was helpful in removing the kitchen cabinets and pantry shelving. We were able to preserve most of the shelving in hopes to use it again in the new pantry.
It has been quite the experience for me deciding on kitchen cabinets, flooring and appliances. I haven't narrowed down who will do our cabinets yet but I have decided on hickory as the wood. A popular choice is naughty alder but it is a soft wood and can scratch easily and isn't as durable but I do like the looks of it and hickory seems to be pretty similar in looks but much stronger. What did Carolyn and Greg choose when they remodeled their kitchen?
I am still undecided on the flooring - wood or laminate. I go back and forth daily. I am going to go and look at Janet Prescott's home which has wood. I have just been a little bit scared by the maintenance of wood and I am worried about being worried about scratching the floor and resurfacing it every 3 to 5 years. (I hear you have to leave your house for at least 3 days because of the fumes). I think that there are some good choices in laminate that look very realist but it can also chip and be damaged by water. Anyone have an opinion here?
Wood Pros - Attractive, long lasting (can resurface to look like new) and adds more value to your home
Wood Cons - Scratches easiley, water can damage it if left to pool, high cost, expands and contracts due to weather, resurfacing is dusty and have to leave home for a few days
Laminate Pros - Durable, no need to resurface, can swap out planks that receive damage, low cost
Laminate Cons - Not real, water can damage if left to pool, cannot resurface and cost could be just as expensive as wood if we had to replace it.
Everyone that has wood loves it but does comment that it can scratch easily. I don't know what to do and will probably go back and forth until I HAVE to make up my mind.
Enough of the house. Here are some updates on the kids.
Zach - He has found his zone in running this year. He doesn't particularly like running but seems to be enjoying track much more this season. He placed 2nd in the 100 and 1st in the 200 at his last meet. He is off visiting Dixie College this weekend with a few of his buddies. If he can play football and get in-state tuition, he could be going to Dixie next school year, if not he is going to Utah State. He is wrapping up his Senior project and getting ready to graduate next month!
Melissa - Took 3rd in O.O. at state this year. She was super excited and I told her if she keeps moving up she could get 1st by the time she is senior. She is in Reno, NV playing volleyball this weekend.
Also, we took Melissa's senior trip already last week - to the ER! I got a call from her volleyball coach last Thursday and told us that Melissa had rapid breathing, couldn't stand up, was pale and her eyes were dilated and rolling and that they were taking her to the ER. I really wanted to talk to Melissa and had I been able to before they took her we probably could have saved a few thousand dollars. I tried to get them to let me talk to her but they had already whisked her away. When we arrived at the ER she was having a EKG done, along with blood and urine work done. She was quite humorous and almost hyperventilated when the nurse took 15 minutes to draw her blood. When it was all said and done everything came back normal and we determined that all these symptoms were caused by a new medication that she just started taking the day before for acne. If you read the warning pamphlets it does say that it may cause rapid breathing, and dizziness and to stop taking the medication if this occurs. It also didn't help that she had hardly eaten that day before her 7:30 p.m. practice (chicken nuggets, french fries at lunch and snacks). We didn't get home with her until 11:30 p.m. and then she was up until 12:30 a.m. packing for State speech the next day. Good times....
Hannah - She has been trying out the hurdles this year during track and actually does quite well. It is fun to watch her run though she doesn't enjoy all the pre-race jitters! She travels to Boise this Saturday for a volleyball tournament. (One more to go!)
Rachel - She has finished up 4 weeks in a row of volleyball tournaments last Saturday. Her last tournament in Filer took FOREVER. They ended up getting 3rd at that tournament. She is such a great help in babysitting the younger girls. I don't know what we would do without her help! She is more than happy to stay at home with the girls during track meets and volleyball games - they are too long and too boring to attend. Rachel recently learned some songs on the guitar at school. She really enjoyed it.
Abigail - She got stuck playing the big instrument again at her last school concert. I guess it is a Leavitt spot because all my girls have played it. It is a really important part - it sets the rhythm but can be very boring going back and forth.
Allison - She is a great helper to me during the day at the new house. She helps me pick up nails with a big magnetic tool of Alan's and she helped me pick up A LOT OF JUNK outside too. I have never picked up so many dirty and left behind socks outside. Allison is all ready for kindergarten next fall. She will be attending the p.m. session at Jefferson next school year - it takes her a while to get rolling in the morning and the p.m. schedule will work out better for me.
Well that is our latest. I love have the challenge of getting the new house just the way I like it. I am deciding on colors and have only narrowed down the master bedroom, closet and bath. We are excited about the possibilities and the change. That is all for now!



No comments:
Post a Comment