Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

I think that we surprised Alan this year for Father's Day. Every birthday and every holiday we ask Alan what he wants and he says - nothing. Of course I cannot comply with this request so I try to come up with something creative, something he isn't expecting.
This year we woke Alan up with breakfast in bed at 10:00 a.m. We left him to eat his breakfast and watch a video from lds.org about a father. As the video was ending we came back into the room and each of the kids handed him a painted picture frame with a picture of the them doing something that their dad enjoys. On the back of the pictures there was a personal note from each of the kids. Alan was already a little bit teary after watching the video and then the water works were pouring out when the kids came in and he read their messages. I believe he was overwhelmed with gratitude and love. We gave him a few more apologies for his upcoming float trip and then got ready for church.
Jill Crozier gave a fantastic talk on fathers during sacrament meeting that really touched me. I am so grateful for my own father. He is one that I can always call about anything. He has a great listening ear and offers much timely and sound advice. He is so much fun to hang out with and I look forward to many more years with him. I am also very grateful for Alan's father, Leon. He is such a good example to Alan. I know that Alan and his dad are the best of friends. I am very grateful that Alan is such a wonderful father to our children. He would go to the moon and back for them if they asked him to. He loves them competely and unconditionally. Zach told me yesterday that he thinks that if his dad and him were the same age now that they probably would have been really good friends. Happy Father's Day!







No comments: