Friday, November 21, 2008

Baptism

Alan and I were able to go to the temple yesterday with our youth to do baptisms for the dead. It was especially neat because it was the first time that I have gone since I was a youth and we were there with our three oldest children. It was so wonderful!
We had a youth fireside recently titled "Do you have my name," that portrayed some people who were waiting to have their work done by us on the other side. Alan was supposed to play a really tender part with Rachel where someone had his name but not his daughter's. As I was describing the part he was to play to him I became a bit emotional thinking about only part of a family being found and the great desire they must feel to have everyone with them. Alan was supposed to be sincere in his acting but...... he was very robotic as he played his part. He said a few lines then turned and read his paper then he turned back to Rachel, kissed her on the forehead and off he went. We gave him a really hard time for that! He said that he was worried about forgetting his lines but we told him it was the emotion we wanted to feel from him not the words! I do believe the point was made despite his poor acting skills. Love you Alan!
Because of that play, last night as I was watching our youth being baptized, it made the people seem very real, not just a name on a piece of paper. The youth were encouraged to remember a name and to write their feelings down in their journals. Melissa had a lady who we figured has been waiting for 500 years for someone to find her name!
I am so grateful for the temple and that I am able to go there and feel God's presence. I love being inside and feeling so at peace and so calm. Last night, I felt a great desire to see all of my children inside the temple at once. I love each of my children with all of my heart and I want them to receive the blessings that await them in the temple. I do believe that families can be together forever and I want every single one of my children to be there! I really do want no empty chairs! True happiness is knowing who you are, why you are here and where you will be going. I am grateful for my membership in the church and how it helps me in guiding and rearing my children in today's crazy society. I am grateful for a prophet that leads and guides us today. He is Heavenly Father's mouthpiece. I am grateful for a Savior who not only paid the price for all of our sins but he took upon him all of our sorrows too. He is there to help us carry the burden. I am so grateful for loving parents who showed me the way. I know that I would not be the person I am today if it wasn't for their guidance. I know that my testimony and my knowledge is something that I will be able to take with me when I die, really nothing else matters.

1 comment:

J-Babe said...

What a neat experience for you guys. So I was looking for this recipe online and it led me to this pretty neat blog with Y.W. activities.

http://connectwithdots.blogspot.com/2008/03/friendship-fudge.html