Saturday, March 29, 2008

Emergency Evacuation

A few weeks ago I was asked to participate in a 5th Sunday lesson with my family. Of course I agreed but I was not told any information. Well yesterday as we were on our way to Twin to go out to eat with our son Zach for his birthday we got a call that we were to evacuate our house and we only had 10 minutes. Alan negotiated with the caller that we would evacuate when we returned after all it was Zach's 16th birthday we were trying to celebrate. Upon our return and after singing happy birthday and having dessert we told the kids that we had 10 minutes to gather our stuff and leave. Alan told the kids that the house was going to be flooded and we needed to get out quickly. Abby started bawling and began to panic. (Way to go dad!) He was quick to reassure her that it was only a drill. We started racing around the house to gather things in a frenzy. I do have 72 hour food packets in a box downstairs underneath a few things along with our wind up radio, emergency blankets, 100 hour candles and our tin cups. Mind you they were not in any backpacks and not even together but at least I knew where they were! I gathered them along with a few blankets and pillows. We were also asked to bring our swimming suits and to meet at the Gaver's house. We were told that we were going to be gone 24 hours. Well, we didn't think that we were seriously going to be gone 24 hours so we didn't bring medicine or toothbrushes or water (really not sure why we didn't bring water). When we got to the Gaver's we were told to get in our swimming suits and go for a swim with our children and then we were directed to beds to sleep in. Alan left after everyone had gone to bed and got my antibiotics. He said he felt like a teenage kid sneaking out of the house after everyone had gone to bed!
We spent the night and after a full breakfast the next morning and after another swim we were able to go home.
Lesson's to be Learned
1-Have a plan
2-Have everything located in one spot
3-Include toiletries, medicine, first aid kits
4-Have a backpack with everything included for each person
5-Extra pair of clothes

Yes, it was a bit of an inconvenience but it was a valuable experience one that we hope to learn from and improve upon. Other people were asked to go without power for 24 hours, go without water for 24 hours, cook only from your food storage for a week and of course the emergency evacuation.
With the rising wheat prices (driving up flour purchases) and the impending trucker's strike I went to Ridley's after the YW broadcast and bought 75 pounds of flour and sugar along with 3 cases of water. Melissa was a bit embarrassed especially as the lady at the check-out asked me if I do a lot of baking, but I am here to tell you it takes a lot to feed my family of eight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like fun!! So glad I found your blog!! I'll for sure do that tag on my blog tomorrow! :) Thanks for tagging me!

J-Babe said...

hahaha how come you didnt tell me about this??? That is pretty neat! So is this going around in your ward or what??